Détails de l'annonce
Organisation : Médecins Sans Frontières - Artsen Zonder Grenzen
Site web : https://www.msf.be
Lieu de l'emploi : Bruxelles /
Type d'emploi : Contrat à durée indéterminée
Type de contrat : Temps plein
Fonction : Entretien/logisitique
Date de publication : 28/08/2023
Date limite : 17/09/2023
Education & Experience
- Education in the water, hygiene and sanitation sector or acquired through equivalent experience
- At least 2 years of experience in the definition and managing of Water & Sanitation techniques projects
- Recent multiple MSF field experience managing large Water & Sanitation techniques projects
- Experience as Water and Sanitation and/or Environmental Health Manager, EH/Watsan coordinator is an asset
- Experience in design and sizing of hydraulic systems for drinking water supply and wastewater evacuation installations
- Experience with different construction technologies and prefabricated techniques
- Experience in team management in hierarchical and functional line
- Experience as project manager or in working in project mode is an asset
- Skilled in site supervision and understanding of practical aspects of implementing Water and Sanitation Techniques
- Ability to select appropriate technology to be implemented according to local resources and sustainability regarding water, sanitation, waste management techniques to minimize the risk for human health
- Understanding of pumping systems, ability to match and size pumping solutions to specific contexts
- Good understanding of design principles of wastewater treatment and disposal systems
- Able to use Computer-aided design (CAD) packages
- Understanding of solid waste management principles and concepts, ability to identify context- based solid waste management approaches
- Proactive and willing to propose innovative ideas and solutions
- Willing to take measured risks and responsibility for her/his choices
- Interest in individual and group coaching needed
- Mobile & flexible
- Team cooperation and autonomy
- Good oral and written communication in English
- French desirable
- Knowledge of Arabic, Spanish or Portuguese is an asset
- Availability for deployment in the field on technical and/or emergency assignments
Logistics at MSF aims at providing the best environment of care for MSF beneficiaries and medical teams activities through a pragmatic and solution-oriented approach. MSF operations are very diverse and constantly evolving, requiring Logs to continuously adapt to provide appropriate solutions.
The Logistics Department’s mission is twofold. Firstly, it is to provide the frame of action of Logs on the field. Secondly, it provides access to support (both in technical and intervention families), knowledge as well as learning & development opportunities for field Logs to be able to carry out their mission.
For these purposes, the Log department at MSF Operational Center Brussels (OCB) is composed of 3 main units. The Log Support Unit (LSU) provides direct support to Logs in Operations and identifies needs to be tackled by other Log entities. The Workforce Unit (WFU) ensures that the Log workforce is available and prepared to contribute to operational ambitions in their project/mission. The Knowledge Management Unit (KMU) aims at improving access to information, knowledge and to the variety of support means for Logs in the field.
As Water & Sanitation Technical Referent integrated in the Logistics Department, you provide strategical technical support in the Water & Sanitation techniques domain to Operations, Logistics and Environmental Health officers in the field according to MSF Environmental Health (EH) techniques and policies in partnership and in line with the Environmental Health unit’s functioning and other LSU members.
You are a member of the LSU under the supervision of the LSU Deputy Coordinator. You are also a member of the EH unit and as such carries a strong link between the LSU and the EH unit.
- Participate actively in the definition and discussions for the evolutions of the Water & Sanitation techniques domain of MSF OCB
- Support the definition of the yearly plan for the domain in terms of budget and planning, considering operational intentions
- Contribute to the reflections and debate activities within the Log department and, where relevant, with other departments
- Work towards the alignment of activities with operational prospects including sustainability in design and implementation of water and sanitation solutions. Promotes the Climate and Environmental Health action plan and takes part in relevant technical developments.
- Liaise with other OC technical teams and working groups to share, exchange, adopt, improve existing tools
Provide 1st line support in the Water & Sanitation techniques domain
- Ad-hoc punctual technical support in the absence of skilled resources in the project, or specific Water & Sanitation techniques for medical and non-medical structures
- Onsite ad-hoc support during field visits
Provide 2nd (Complex) line support in the Water & Sanitation techniques domain
- Ensure that all technical solutions proposed in the Water & Sanitation techniques are sustainable and adjusted to the context and location and the quality of solutions implemented are consistent with operational requirements
- Light and Basic Water and Sanitation projects & Complex projects: Support on the development of feasibility and design stages (design + budget estimation) of Water and Sanitation installations and infrastructures in collaboration with the Construction team
- Keep an overview of job requests, coordinates, prioritizes the response in collaboration with the EH and other technical domains when required.
- Support field teams during the Tender and Construction Stages in collaboration with the Construction team; Ensure that the support and solutions corresponding to the operational needs provided in the Water & Sanitation techniques domain are capitalized and translated into 3rd line developments when relevant
- Ensure foresight of the domain's evolution is available to anticipate trends that will impact operations and our way of supporting them
Provide support on the development of 3rd line dossiers in the Water & Sanitation techniques domain:
- Manage the 3rd line projects portfolio (ideas, planning, budget, resources) in collaboration with the EH and other technical domains
- Ensure the development of necessary technical specifications adjusted to the context and location for the sourcing of items and kits
- Ensure the development of technical solutions, tools, reference documents and guidelines according to OCB strategic orientation and Operational prospects.
- Contribute to defining and improving the policies through feedback based on his/her experiences. Provide recommendations for program as well as broader operational objectives, its implementation or improvement, according to MSF policies, guidelines and procedures
- Ensure that there is a knowledge management strategy to share and transfer knowledge valuing experience and expertise of this domain within the Log Community
- Ensure development of content and delivery of training modules adapted to field realities
- Ensure contribution to the building of a network of support for the Log Community within the Water & Sanitation domain
- Support in the HR sizing of the technical set up (expertise and resources) and adequate allocation of resources
- Ensure the development of the content and implementation of all Water and Sanitation techniques training modules; Liaise with other OC technical teams and working groups to identify training and development opportunities
- Support the recruitment processes ensuring the pool of Water and Sanitation experts is suited and sized correctly for the operational needs & intentions.
- Starting date: 1st November 2023
- Location: Brussels (Belgium)
- Several field visits per year (technical support, emergencies, …)
- Contract type: Open-ended contract – Full time - homeworking possible up to 50% per week
- Salary according to the MSF-OCB HQ salary grid
- Meal Vouchers – Hospital Insurance (DKV) – Pension Plan – 100% reimbursement for public transportation costs
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
Deadline for applications: 17 September 2023
How to apply?
Please, send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com and mention “Water & sanitation technical referent” in the subject of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Position only open to candidates with previous experience with MSF ("Médecins Sans Frontières")!
No MSF experience? Check out all our job offers at the office: https://www.msf-azg.be/en/at-the-office
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.